Saturday, April 11, 2009

Veggie burgers, revisited

So, last night I decided I was going to revisit the homemade veggie burger. As requested, I left out the barbecue sauce and just stuck to the tried and true...lettuce, tomatoes, ketchup and mustard. Oh my goodness, it was the BIGGEST hit! My kids scarfed them down, then asked for more!

Not only that, but I have to share a story that is very exciting to me. It's probably boring to you, but whatever...it's my blog. :)

I was just starting to make the veggie burgers. The very first part of the recipe calls for simmering green lentils and brown rice in vegetable broth. (By the way, this is the vegetable broth I use. It's awesome!) I hadn't added anything...not even the salt it called for. All that was in my pot were green lentils, brown rice, vegetable broth and water. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY CHILDREN, at one point or another came downstairs for no reason other to ask, "Wow, what's for dinner? That smells SO good!!!" What a HUGE step! My kids used to think that vegetarian cooking smelled so bland. To them, there was nothing like the smell of a good steak being cooked. Now, they are practically drooling over the smell of vegetable broth, brown rice and lentils!!! YAY!!!!









No comments: