Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Sloppy Lentils

This recipe is courtesy of my friend, Amanda, who I've known seemingly forever. It's always nice to find people who I know and trust, yet had no idea they were vegetarian! lol Yes, I realize that's weird, but Amanda lives in Virginia. I don't see her very often!

Sloppy Lentils


1 tbsp oil
1 green bell pepper -diced (I use frozen because its cheaper)
1 medium onion- diced
2-4 cloves of garlic- minced (adjust to taste)
3 tbsp. chili powder
1 1/2c dried lentils, rinsed and picked through
3c. water

14.5oz crushed tomatoes (can use diced w/ juice instead)
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
1 tbsp mustard
2 tbsp brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Saute peppers, onion and garlic in oil. Add chili powder and cook one more minute, stirring frequently. Transfer to slow cooker and lentils and water. Cook on low for 7 hours. Add other ingredients and cook on high 1 hr. Serve on buns like Sloppy Joes or over rice/quinoa,etc.


Things I did differently: I used red bell peppers because I don't like green. I doubled the recipe (as per usual to feed my small army). The recipe didn't specify what color lentils to use, so I used red because I thought green might look unappetizing with all the tomato ingredients. It's also the kind I prefer and happened to have on hand. lol I used fire roasted diced tomatoes. I forgot to start dinner in the morning, so instead of cooking on low for 7 hours, I cooked on high for about 3 1/2 hours, added the tomatoes and the rest of the ingredients and cooked another hour.









Refused to eat it.

1 comment:

Manda said...

I know this is older--but I'm so glad you dug it!