Sunday, January 11, 2009

I'm back!

This blog has been SERIOUSLY neglected. Well, I'm back and this week is going to be a vegan week in my home!

Tonight's dinner was Extra Good Black Bean Burritos from Vegweb.com.

Ingredients:

2 cans organic black beans; splash of olive oil
1 clove garlic
1 or two big ol tomatoes
1/4 cup red wine (optional, but recommended) or vegan red wine vinegar
1 smallish onion
1-2 fresh jalepeno or habanero peppers
chili powder, cumin
sea salt
whole grain tortillas- 6 or twelve
chopped avocado
soy sour cream/ cheese

Directions:

Saute chopped onion in olive oil with minced garlic clove and jalepeno or habanero. Sprinkle in beans as onions soften. Continue to saute for a few minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, sea salt to taste. Pour in vegan wine or vinegar, lower heat, and simmer for additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Heat tortillas in 200 degree oven till warm. Serve beans in tortillas. Garnish with chopped tomato, avocado, and soy cheese or sourcream. Enjoy with friends and family!

Serves: 6

Preparation time: 30 min.


I was a little concerned because I used vegan sour cream for the first time and wasn't sure how the kids would respond to it. They actually liked it! I took a taste for myself and it really did taste like sour cream. Definitely a keeper! Each child had at least two burritos. A few even had three!

I've uploaded new pics for the blog since the old ones are so outdated. Kids grow entirely too fast, don't they? :( I've even added a new baby since the last post! Crazy!

















No comments: