Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Lacto Veg

This meal wasn't vegan. It was, however, what most people would consider vegetarian. There was some cheese in it...and maybe some egg in the lasagna noodles...I don't know. I didn't check. I probably should.

Anyways, I made up this recipe, so I don't have exact measurements.

It's just your typical veggie lasagna. I was going to use Ricotta cheese, but found out that the container I had in the fridge expired yesterday, so I substituted tofu for the Ricotta. I normally don't use soy for anything. With growing kids, I'm concerned about the amount of phytoestrogen that enters their bodies. I figure every once in a great while is okay, though.

Ingredients:
1 box whole wheat lasagne noodles
2 jars pasta sauce
1 tub extra firm tofu
2 C. chopped spinach (I pulsed it in the food processor)
1 zucchini (pureed in the food processor)
1 T sea salt
1 T. Italian seasoning
Shredded Mozarella cheese

Preheat oven to 375*
Boil the lasagne noodles according to instructions. In a medium sized mixing bowl, crumble the drained tofu. Mix tofu with spinach, zucchini, sea salt and Italian seasoning.

Arrange lasagne in layers:
1st layer: Pasta Sauce
2nd layer: lasagne noodles, in a single layer
3rd layer: Some of the tofu mixture
4th layer: Small amount of Mozarella cheese

Repeat layers, ending with layer #2. Top with pasta sauce and mozarella cheese.

Bake for 40 minutes.



















No comments: