Thursday, October 19, 2006

Artichoke hummus

1 14-oz. can artichoke hearts, drained and halved
1 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup tahini
1/3 cup fresh parsley
1 medium clove garlic, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 to 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice

In food processor or blender, combine all artichoke spread ingredients and 2 Tbs. water. Process until mixture is almost smooth but retains some texture and is slightly thicker than hummus. If necessary, add water by teaspoonfuls to thin. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate if not using immediately.

I actually don't have a food processor or blender at the moment, so I smashed the chickpeas with a potato smasher, diced the artichoke hearts and blended it all together with the whisk beater on my KitchenAid. It's more the consistency of tuna salad than hummus, but still REALLY good. The boys and I had this for lunch. We dipped celery in it. The boys didn't want to save any for the girls, but they have, so I'll add the girl's rating when they get home from school and have it as an after school snack. The boys both LOVED it. Cole gave it a five and Ethan a four. I think Ethan is just fond of the number four today though. lol I have a heck of a time getting my boys to eat celery. They finished an entire bunch for lunch though, dipping it in this hummus!





No comments: