Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Lunch Time!

So, we just finished off the potato kale soup. I thought it was DELICIOUS. In fact, I had seconds. This was my first venture into the world of kale and I can't say I was disappointed. It has a very mild flavor and really did add to the soup.

Potato Kale Soup


1 lg. onion, chopped
1/4 C. olive oil
2 lg cloves garlic (I used a lot more though..I LOVE garlic)
pinch of hot pepper flakes
4 medium potatoes, chopped into 1 1/2" pieces
2 vegetable bullion cubes
3/4 lb. kale
3 T. soy sauce
1/2 T. salt
dash of tobasco (I actually used red horseradish because I didn't have any tobasco)


Put onion in soup kettle. Add olive oil, garlic, pepper flakes and saute. Add potatoes with 1 quart of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender. Add bullion. Crush potatoes (how much depends on how chunky you want the soup) Destem the kale and shred. (Bunch the leaves together, then slice into thin strips with a knife) Add kale, soy sauce, salt and tobasco to the soup. Simmer until kale is wilted.





I give this dish 5 stars. I thought it was absolutely delicious. Hubby gives it 4 stars. He liked the potato soup, but just isn't fond of kale. He called me from work and told me, "I just wanted to let you know that I finished the soup. It was really good. Well, the potato part was, anyways." Later, he called me back and asked if we had the funds for him to pick up a sandwich at Subway. I guess it wasn't filling enough for him. Caitlin and Emma are eating lunch at school, so they didn't have any. Cole (age 4) gives it 4 stars. He said it was really good, but it wasn't as good as some other food. Ethan (age 3) gave it 1 star. He ate the potato part, but picked out the kale. It took him over an hour to finish a TINY bowl of the soup. He kept saying, "Mommy's soup is yucky!" I tried bribing him with orange juice and a banana, but he refused to eat the kale. It didn't go to waste though. Cole was more than happy to eat the kale that Ethan picked out. That's my boy!

So, an adult pleaser, but not necessarily a child pleaser. (Although, Cole is turning out to be quite the happy vegetarian!)

No comments: