Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Crock Pot Oatmeal

For the past two mornings we've had oatmeal for breakfast. (I recently had my cholesterol tested and it was EXTREMELY high and oatmeal is supposed to help lower it) It's SO easy to make. Before I go to bed at night, I just throw it in the crockpot, set it on low, then it's ready when we wake up.

Yesterday I added apples and walnuts. It was a hit. For this morning though, I used bananas. Caitlin and Drake thought it was gross. Of course, the bananas got all mushy and it made the oatmeal slimy. I still thought it was really good, as did Emma and the boys. Of course, Sera will eat anything, so she scarfed it down. It's now been requested that I stick to the apples and walnuts. I wasn't all that fond of the apples because I used granny smith and I thought they were a bit too tart for the oatmeal. I think I'll use gala next time.

So anyways, here's how you do it. Keep in mind, I have seven people in my family. If you have less, you won't want to make as much oatmeal. Just stick with the 2:1 ratio.

Crock Pot Oatmeal

4 C. oats (not instant or quick cooking)
8 C. water
Fruit of choice (as little or as much as you want. I used two diced apples the first day, and three sliced bananas the second)
handful of chopped walnuts

Put in the crockpot on low for 8 hours.

Later I'll review and post the recipe for the potato kale soup that I made for lunch! (Although, I already took a bite and can tell you it's VERY yum!)





No comments: