Thursday, October 26, 2006

Hot dogs and Mushrooms

So, Ethan and Cole asked for a snack today. I was in the middle of making a mocko salad (I'm so addicted to those things lol) so I decided to spread some refried beans in the middle of a romaine lettuce leaf, then top it with some salsa and see if they would eat that. Ethan looked at it, exclaimed, "HOT DOG!!!" and gobbled it down. lol It did look a little like a hotdog...if you squinted your eyes, pretended the lettuce leaf was actually bread and really need your eyes checked. Cole, on the other hand, wasn't as anxious to eat it. He took a bite or two and asked, "If I promise not to complain about being hungry until dinner, can I not eat this?" So, Ethan ate Cole's...then had yet another hot dog. lol

Tonight, I made Florentine Stuffed Mushrooms. Drake ate like three of them, grimacing the whole time, then said, "Honey, I know this took you a long time to make, so I'm trying to eat them, but please never make this again. I have to admit...it wasn't all that good. It really lacked flavor.

Florentine Stuffed Mushrooms

12 large whitebutton mushrooms, (about 1 1/2" wide)
1 tsp water
3/4 C. minced onions
1/2 t. minced garlic
1/2C.finely chopped spinach
1/2 C. seeded and finely choppedd red bell pepper
1 T. fresh thyme
pinch of black pepper

Remove,trim andfinely chop mushroom stems

In a medium pot of boiling water, cookmushroomcaps for two minutes. Remove and run under cold water. Plce on paper towels, gill side down, to drain.

Lightly coat a medium size skillet with cookingspray. Add water and saute all veggies, including mushroom stems, for six minutes, stirring occasionally.

Preheat broiler or toaster oven.

Spoon mixture into mushroom caps. Broil until caps turn light brown, approximately three minutes.

I knew there was no way the kids would eat them, so I didn't even bother offering them any. I guess I'll have to figure out something to do with the leftovers. Stir fry, maybe?

No comments: