Friday, October 27, 2006

Tomato Soup

OMG, I just made the YUMMIEST tomato soup! I'm not sharing with my kids. It would be wasted on them because they won't even like it. lol

1 onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, crushed
5 pounds fresh, ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 bunch basil, chopped
1 bunch oregano, chopped

Fry onion and garlic with a small amount of water. Add the tomatoes and 6 cups of vegetable stock.

Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Cook on low utnil tomatoes have stewed. Add the chopped herbs.

Drain the tomatoes, but keep the liquid.

Puree the soup, adding liquid until desired consistency.


I got a recipe for a blended spinach salad off of Fat free Vegan that I made for breakfast this morning.

Blended Spinach Salad

1 C. pineapple
1 orange
1 pear
1 apple
1/8 slice lemon with peel
1 T. ground flaxseed
1 C. frozen blueberries
1 large handful spinach (8 oz)

Blend pineapple, orange, pear, apple, lemon and flax seed until liquidy. Add frozen blueberries and blend. Add spinach and blend for 20-30 seconds.


I used frozen strawberries instead of blueberries because that's what I had on hand. You could taste the spinach a little bit if you had a large amount of the smoothie. My kids gulped it down without a complaint though and my husband, who only had a sip, said he couldn't taste the spinach in the small sip he took. I think I may do it again tomorrow with romaine lettuce instead to see if I can find a leafy green that you can't taste at all.

No comments: